I do not know about you, but around here on our farm, someone is always getting stung by a bee or bitten by an insect of some sort. A few years ago a friend told me about chewing up Plantain (a weed which grows in almost all yards) and putting it onto the bee sting or insect bite. Then, shortly after that, someone told me how to make my very own Insect Bite Astringent Medicine out of Plantain!
It is very easy to do!
- Dry plantain in dehydrator, sun, in oven, or on counter
- Measure Plantain. For every 1/3 part Plantain, add 2/3 part apple cider vinegar. Place in a clean glass jar and put lid on it.
- Keep in a cool dark place for three weeks, shaking daily. I have mine in a storage closet which we do open often.
- At the end of three weeks, strain off the old herb and put the vinegar tincture in an empty bottle. Empty dish washing liquid bottles work perfectly. Label it.
- Apply onto any bite as soon as possible. I will usually place on a cotton ball, then put a band aid over it to hold it onto the insect bite. It works great for bee stings, tick-bites, and fire ant bites. We also use it for mosquito bites. It will work best if applied immediately to the bite!